Thursday, March 6, 2014

Photography talk, March 13, all are welcome

Blue Dasher, Pachydiplax longipennis

I am always flattered when asked to give a talk on photography, as I would think of myself more as a person that uses photographs to tell stories, rather than as a photographer. That said, I do try and constantly improve my skills, and enjoy shooting a wide variety of subjects.

The Lens & Leaves Photography Club has invited me to give a photography talk, and we're doing it next Thursday, March 13th. The group focuses on natural history, and is welcoming of guests of all levels of interest and skill. You are invited. The meeting commences at 7 pm, and will take place at beautiful Blacklick Metro Park on the east side of Columbus. CLICK HERE for details.

Blue-eyed Mary, Collinsia verna

 Rather than focus completely on technical aspects of photography, I will talk more about finding interesting subjects, composition, and light.

Eastern Fence Lizard, Sceloporus undulatus

I've got images from at least six different cameras in the talk, from point & shoots to my current Canon 5D Mark III. One need not have the latest and greatest camera to make nice images.

Harlequin Ducks, Histrionicus histrionicus

I suppose the talk will be in large part a photographic nature show, as I've included a wide array of animal and plant life from many different regions. The gorgeous ducks above were photographed on the barnacle-encrusted rocks at Barnegat Light, New Jersey.

Red-banded Hairstreak, Calycopis cecrops

The thumbnail-sized hairstreak is an excellent macro subject, and I plant to talk a fair bit about LITTLE STUFF, and how to make decent images of small bugs and whatnot.

If you're able, come on out next Thursday. Again, the details ARE HERE.

No comments: