Friday, February 18, 2011

Spring is near here

Today and yesterday offered up a major dose of the impending spring. Warm and windy, with highs in the low 60's. I just returned from a 75 mile ride on my Ducati - not something I often get to do the day before my normally wintery birthday.

Turkey Vultures are funneling in, and I heard several Horned Larks passing overhead the past two days. Birders have been reporting displaying American Woodcock, and there are lots of waterfowl pushing north, close on the heels of ice-out.

And it won't be long at all until green things push from the soil! Following is a reminder of what our very near future holds in store.

Hepatica, Hepatica nobilis, photographed on March 8th, 2009, Adams County, Ohio.

Bloodroot, Sanguinaria canadensis, April 4th, 2010, Greene County, Ohio.

Wood Poppy, Stylophorum diphyllum, April 11, 2010, Adams County, Ohio.

Goldenstar, Erythronium rostratum, April 5, 2008, Scioto County, Ohio.

Some of us have a botanical foray planned for April 2 in southernmost Ohio, and by then, we should be able to find blooming specimens of all of the above. I REALLY look forward to that.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing?! I love it, I'm just trying not to let myself believe that Spring is here to stay yet, because we all know that we get teases like this almost every year.

I saw my first two Turkey Vultures today too! (In Kent) Great sight! I also saw a big Green Frog swimming along the edge of an icy wetland Wednesday, along with a Song Sparrow singing!

All good info to put in the 2011 almanac!!!
Enjoy your birthday!! Hopefully we get more nice weather : )

Doug

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

I have the middle two close to my home. It won't be long. Julie Zickafoos heard the woodcocks this evening at her home not too far away.
nellie

Janet Creamer Martin said...

I, too, am itching to get out and botanize! Come on, Spring!

Jim McCormac said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Janet - not long to wait. I believe you are slated to attend the April 2 Celebration of the Lilliputian and Rare Mustards Festival in Adams County.

gracenme said...

Think this is the day to wish you a Happy Bday!!

j03ald said...

Hi Jim,
Well, my birthday is the 20th.
Happy birthday and I can't wait for spring either.

Janet Creamer Martin said...

Yes, the CLRMF is on my calendar.(Nice, sliding the "Lilliputian" in there, Slick.)

Anonymous said...

Jim, got Crocus and Daffodils already coming up in Pike County little over a week ago! Gary Wayne

Dave said...

Oh..spring fever is starting to hit!
Thanks for the springy pics to warm us up!

Heather said...

Wow, seeing these beauties makes me want to go back and take a gander at my own early spring wildflower photo archives. Very much looking forward to making the acquaintance of some of these Lilliputian and Rare Mustards (didn't realize there was a name for the gathering!) (By the way, which word do you like more, "Lilliputian" or "ochraceous"? :) ) (Oh, and my word verification is "pards," - sounds like a new slang term, used as follows: "pards for poking fun at your choice of terminology.")

Jim McCormac said...

Thanks all for your comments. You can expect a report with photos after this year's perennially popular Lilliputian and Rare Mustards Festival of Adams County (LMFAC). What a ring that's got to it!