Friday, January 25, 2019

Country cemetery, in fog and rain

A meeting took me to The Wilds in Muskingum County, Ohio, the other day, a landscape that I always enjoy spending time in. After the work was over, I set out on a photographic expedition, naturally. It was rainy with leaden skies, and towards mid-afternoon an eerie fog set in. This led to many excellent photo ops, and perhaps I will share some of my other works from that day later.

As I was leaving the area at dusk, I passed by Mt. Zion Cemetery, a small rural burial ground that caps a rounded knob. Between the gray skies, snowy ground, and eerie mist, the scene stopped me in my tracks. In I went, umbrella overhead in an attempt to keep the camera gear dry. Working my way over to the oldest part of the cemetery, this composition eventually presented itself. Rendering the scene in black and white seemed to be appropriate. This was shot with the Canon 5DSR and Canon's excellent 16-35mm f/4 lens, at 16mm. Settings: f/16, ISO 200. Five successive shots were made, altering shutter speed to change exposure, with the longest exposure 3.2 seconds. The images were merged using Photoshop's HDR program.

No comments: