Thursday, October 25, 2012

A beautiful Indian Summer day

This Painted Lady, Vanessa cardui, was one of many enjoying the beautiful Ohio weather today. Skies were sunny and temperatures climbed to the high 70's - possibly our last such day of the year. I did something that, believe it or not, I rarely do - take the day off! Camera gear in tow, I headed up to Killdeer Plains and vicinity to see what I might find.

I wasn't disappointed. Lots of interesting things surfaced, and I made photos of nearly all of it. Got whacked - twice! - by Bald-faced Hornets as I photo-documented a low-hanging nest; shot images of a Great Blue Heron hunting grasshoppers in a field; and watched a Red-headed Woodpecker building his granary.

Too tired to put up anything more right now, but more will follow.

1 comment:

Jared said...

!!! I soooo wanted to call off work yesterday to hit, you guessed it, Killdeer Plains. Also like you, I rarely call off work (last day off--June 8). I'm hoping for some photos in your upcoming blog of herpetological interest...