Monday, September 23, 2019

Hemphill House, Adams County, Ohio

The Hemphill House, Adams County, Ohio.
(Click the photo to enlarge, as always)

I spent the weekend in Adams County with about 20 friends, canvassing interesting habitats for flora and fauna. We found scads of stuff, and I'll share some of those organisms here, later.

Last Saturday, the group journeyed to a wonderful spot on the banks of the Ohio River, where we located our primary quarry, the amorpha borer beetle, Megacyllene decora. Many other notable finds were made as well. The northbound return trip took us up a winding country lane that I haven't been on in years. Our car caravan crested a low ridge, and the old homestead in the photo suddenly presented itself.

Whoa! I hit the brakes to marvel at the beautiful old stone house, until I remembered I was the point car and had the caravan backed up in a less than safe spot. Off we went, but I resolved to return early the next morning for photos, and did just that.

It turns out that the structure is the Hemphill House, named for James Hemphill. If I've got the history correct, he bought this property in 1805, and probably constructed this house shortly thereafter. Hemphill was said to be a man of means, with much of his wealth derived from his regionally renowned whiskey distilling business.

The house is built like a bank vault. Thick stone walls have allowed the structure to withstand the test of time, and still look solid and nearly inhabitable. Judging by the newer roof, I'd say people did continue to use the house well into the 20th century. I didn't try to enter, of course, but I imagine the inside is probably beyond repair. Nonetheless, the house still stands strong, and I suspect its shell will remain for some time to come.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Which community is this in? Do you mind to tell the location?

Stacy Hempill

Jim McCormac said...

Hi Stacy, from your name. maybe you are related to the house's original owners! It's out in the sticks, a few miles north of the Ohio River, on the west side of, if memory serves, Ohio Brush Creek Road. The nearest community of any size is West Union.