Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Green Salamander

 

A Green Salamander (Aneides aeneus) descends a vertical cliff face, making for an interesting photo perspective.

I returned yesterday from the New River Birding & Nature Festival in Fayetteville, West Virginia. From April 29 through May 4, I was leading trips afield, and while so engaged, cannot photograph (at least very little). To atone for that, I got out a few nights to seek amphibians and Green Salamanders were high on my list. Green Salamanders are obligate cliff-dwellers, hiding in fissures during the day and emerging at night to hunt lesser creatures on the rocks and in adjacent trees.

This photo better shows the yellowish-green lichen-like markings. On another, drier night, I saw several Green Salamanders, but they were not out hunting on the cliff faces - they were just peeking from small fissures. The night I took these photos was perfect for amphibian activity. It had rained into the evening; the temperatures were in the mid-60's F and humidity was high. Lots of action, including the first Wehrle's Salamanders (Plethodon wehrlei) I have seen. I'll try to post up some photos of that, and other species, later.

1 comment:

Woody Meristem said...

Good catch of the elusive little one.