Thursday, August 12, 2021

Giant Stag Beetle in Ohio

A thoroughly impressive Giant Stag Beetle, Lucanus elaphus. Including the mandibles, a male like this can measure 2.5 inches in length (go ahead, hold your fingers that far apart :-) ). Males use those mandibles to spar with one another during "rutting" season. The larvae of this incredible insect feed on rotting wood - one of myriad life forms that depends on downed or dying timber. John Howard found this stag beetle in Adams County and it represents one of few Ohio records. It will be interesting to see if this southern beetle expands northward in coming years.

A closer look at those formidable mandibles. While its grub - larval stage - lives for nearly a year, the adult stage lasts but a few months. You may be wondering - do these insects "bite"? Not really. The mandibles are used for jousting with other males, and the insect cannot exert significant pressure with them. A finger in the mandibles would feel like a very soft pinch, not nearly strong enough to break the skin. 

I appreciate John detaining the beetle until I and some others could get there to see it.


 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I just found a stag beetle just like this, at least two inches long, same color, on my kitchen window. I’m in South Euclid, Ohio, an eastern suburb of Cleveland, so yes, they came north! What an impressive creature.

Unknown said...

We found two, we are in Cincinnati, Ohio. Scary looking creatures.

BK said...

They are on Middle Bass Island this summer.

Unknown said...

I found one in my back yard in Sandusky Ohio.

Jonny said...

Just found one today in Wilmington Ohio! 45 minutes north of Cincinnati

Ariamoon said...

I found one in Ashland County in the 1990’s. It was huge.

Anonymous said...

I found two in Franklin County. One obviously a male. At least 2.5 inches. Scary!

Zertnox said...

One was observed on my deck today July 28th between johnstown and Sunbury south of Route 3 north of 36/37. Do you want pictures?

Keith said...

We found 4 or 5 of these in our house in wellington last summer (one was in my sock as I attempted to put it on. You should've heard me shriek!) And saw very many several more outside. It got so that we started marking their backs with different colors of paint marker to see if it was just the same one returning because of the frequency. If I see any this year I will be sure to report back, I just assumed they were common to the area but perhaps I'm just having an uncommon experience!