Wednesday, November 25, 2020

American Crows are full of smarts

An American Crow strikes a pose in my Worthington, Ohio, backyard. This is probably the smartest species - including humans and raccoons - that enters my property. Today, I had a surreal experience with two of them. I peeked through the kitchen window to see one drinking from my bird bath, its back to me. About 20 feet further out was another crow, prominently perched and perhaps acting as a scout.

The scout instantly saw me through the window, even though it was dim inside the home - no lights on and a dark rainy day. The lookout made some soft sound - no raucous CAWS or anything overt. The bird on the bath immediately swiveled its head over its shoulder to look right at me. And both flew off into some nearby spruce trees. It was as if the scout whispered "Psst! Hey Frank! Over your shoulder!" It would be fascinating to better understand how these corvids communicate, and communicate they surely do, probably in far more complex ways than we can imagine.

 

1 comment:

Jack and Brenda said...

About 15 years ago, we were hiking in Canyonlands National Park, far from other humans, and any sign of birds. We stopped on top of a large flat rock for a snack break. Almost instantly, we heard the call of a crow, followed by another in the far distance. Within 30 seconds, 2 of the crows landed on the rock, not 10' from us. They definitely knew what hikers do when they aren't walking!