Tuesday, June 20, 2023

House Wren production in the yard

 

A House Wren peeks from its nest box. Their abode hangs ten feet from my kitchen window. 

When I placed this box early this spring, I had high hopes that the local wrens would select it. As always, the male returned in mid-April about a week ahead of the female, and busily began ferreting out potential nest cavities. He quickly became - to my eye - especially interested in this box.

Male House Wrens create several dummy nests - aggregations of twigs and other material in potentially suitable cavities. When the female arrives, she sets about investigating these dummy nests, while the male, presumably nervously, looks on. If she likes one, she selects it and then takes over finishing the construction.

Before long, it was clear that the nest box was her choice and she busily set about completing the nest. All manner of vegetable matter was brought in, and once all is done and the wrens are gone, I look forward to seeing inside the box. Apparently, it should be a fairly massive cave-like structure with a den cavity towards the back. The final stages of nest construction are done by the female, as is incubation of the eggs.

After a few weeks of relative calm as the female wren incubated the eggs, the nestling hatched. The onset of this stage was obvious, as both birds began busily harvesting all manner of food items and bringing them in. This one has a spider. Arachnids are a common prey item.

This wren brings the chicks a de-legged daddy longlegs. Other items include moths, caterpillars, beetles, earwigs, and various small insects that I cannot identify. When the pair is on a roll, they're returning with perhaps two meals every five minutes. This continues to this day, but the chicks will soon leave the nest.

What goes in must come out and a wren departs the nest with a fecal sac. They are fastidious about removing these to far-flung places, often apparently sticking them to a branch high in a tree.

It's been about two weeks since the eggs hatched. While I still have not seen any chicks at the nest box entrance, they have clearly moved nearer to the hole. While the adults used to disappear into the box with food, now they just poke their heads inside - the chicks are that close to the entrance. This means that VERY soon they'll make their inaugural flight from the box, and I hope that I am here to see it. If I had to bet, it'll be tomorrow, or at the latest, Thursday.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Counting on you to report on the fledging, this is very exciting and we don't seem to have house wrens here in northern VA.

Ceci

Anonymous said...

I put up a nest box in my yard on a pole with baffle probably at least 10 y ago in NW Columbus OH. I had to cover the entrance hole with a metal plate with a small opening that would exclude house sparrows. Then the wrens were so loud and so loud so early in the morning that I feared my neighbors. Did I mention there was catnip was growing nearby? I removed the setup and donated the nesting box to GIAC. I still hear house wrens and Carolina wrens making noise in the area. Nice to see your photos.

Jack and Brenda said...

Great photos of the wren activity. I have a lot of bluebird and wren houses up, but no bluebirds this year. Of my 9 boxes, 6 are used by wrens. Mine average 7 eggs, so that's almost 50 new wrens. A couple of the boxes have fledged, and I cleaned them out for more nest in the future. Last year, I had one box with 3 families of wrens produced from it.

Jim McCormac said...

Tremendous wren production, Jack and Brenda, congrats!