Saturday, December 18, 2021

Lake Erie, November gale

As always, click the photo to enlarge

While going through images for a project yesterday, I came across this image from November 18, 2014. I had to give a talk in Cleveland that night, so I went up early to photograph gulls at Eastlake, on Lake Erie. The conditions were brutal: gale force winds, and temps in the low teens. For a brief moment near day's end, the sun suddenly lit the waves and their atomized mist, creating a stunning scene. I raced back to my car and swapped lenses and managed a handful of shots while the light was manageable. My hands were so cold I remember struggling to get the lenses on and off. The gulls, naturally, were unfazed by the wind and cold. I do not know what they thought of the beauty of the scene they occupied.
 

2 comments:

Hamanda said...

Wow, Jim!

Just . . . WOW.

Jack and Brenda said...

That's beautiful! Glad you endured the conditions to capture it. I bet that nobody else was there to see it. I have been to many great spots on beaches and in national parks for sunset, often with a big crowd. 95% of the people will leave before the sky peaks in it's beauty. I'm typically the last to pack it in.