Saturday, December 7, 2013

Motorboating raccoon

I really like raccoons, and that, I know, is not a universal sentiment. Get a couple of the masked bandits in the attic, and chaos can ensue. The wily beasts discover your garbage in the garage, and havoc might be wrought. But you've got to hand it to the critters - they are nearly on a par with most humans (so it would seem) when it comes to smarts.

David and Laura Hughes sent me several outstanding trail cam videos recently, including the following. We've all seen the little handlike paw prints of raccoons on the muddy banks of streams and ponds, and here is one in the act of making those prints. But what is really cool is its buddy, who soon swims into the picture. He/she is just happily motorboating about, so it would seem.

Video: David and Laura Hughes

Raccoons, Procyon lotor. Shot in October, 2013, Monroe County, Ohio.

2 comments:

Sue said...

How cool!
My hubby does battle with these nimble footed critters in our birdfeeders. The dexterity they possess is amazing.....and frustrating. Seems no matter what he does to try to keep the suet from them (yet accessible to birds) only works for a little while before they figure a way to get it out.
Loved the video. It's interesting to see what goes on in the night......

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Only one time have I seen a racoon swim. I was amazed. I didn't know they did that. It doesn't surprise me when I think about how coordinated they are. They can be rascals.